Who are you?

Having passed the 50,000 mark for unique hits – we thought it was time we reached out to you, our readers, and find out who you are…and to expand our own network…
We know from statcounter that we have readers from all over the world, but we’re curious to know how many of you are teachers, how many are students, what other fields you hail from and so forth
Please post to the comments below – let us know who you are, where you are, what you do, give us links to your sites, your spaces and your material…maybe some interesting connections will be made!

Download PDF

22 Responses to Who are you?

1. Richard Howells June 27, 2008 at 6:13 am #

This is just to introduce myself as a new member of the Material World community – even though I’ve been around for a while in more traditional forms.
    I’m a visual culture specialist with a particular interest in what I would call the sociology of representation – essentially interpreting what our cultural texts tell ourselves about ourselves. So, there’s a clear link to anthropology along with a number of other relevant disciplines.
    I like work by case studies, all of which a theoretically under-pinned and serve to illuminate the similarities and differences between cultures separated by time and or space. Published studies have included the myth of the Titanic, identity and British documentary photography, and even race, humour and the polysemiology of Ali G! My last book was Visual Culture (Cambridge: Polity 2003), and I’m currently completing an edited volume on the uses of visual evidence for the Open University Press/McGraw-Hill. In 2004 I was Distinguished Visiting Professor at the Centre for the Arts in Society at Carnegie Mellon University in the USA, and gave my public lecture on Navajo visual culture, creation mythology and Utopian critical theory. Believe me, it all ties up! I’m now Director of the Centre for Cultural, Media and Creative Industries Research at King’s College, London.
    So that’s me. I welcome intellectual collegiality in all its forms, so am thoroughly looking forward to joining in future discussions in Material World.
    Richard Howells

2. Olumide abimbola June 27, 2008 at 6:51 am #

I am a PhD candidate at the Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology, Germany. My research is on informal trade in used clothing between Nigeria and Benin. I am on fieldwork at the moment, and I normally spend most of the day at the used clothing market in Cotonou,Republic of Benin. I am also researching into apprenticeship practices among Igbo migrant traders in Cotonou.
    I blog at www.anthroblogs.org/nativeanthropologist/ but you won’t find much there…. Anyone who is interested in networking can visit my blog and leave a message as a comment to one of the posts.
    Olumide.

3. Donna Swafford June 27, 2008 at 8:34 am #

I joined Material World after it was suggested to me by Google Reader. I am currently a graduate student at Texas State University. My focus is violence and the formation of space.

4. cameron June 27, 2008 at 12:37 pm #

Research Concerns:
    Philosophy of Design (ANT > affordance, Bewandtnis)
    Design-enabled social change toward more sustainable societies (behaviour-influencing designs)
    Shared product use, dematerialisation, from ownership to usership (leasing and repair economies)
    The materialism of convenience, the myth of planned obsolescence (the use-value of just-in-case product ownership)
    Cameron Tonkinwise
    Chair, Design Thinking and Sustainability
    Parsons The New School for Design

5. My name is Amy and I’m a PhD student in the Department of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester. I’m also the administrator of The Attic blog (attic-museumstudies.blogspot.com): the virtual home of the Department of Museum Studies’ research students.

6. My name is Amy and I’m a PhD student in the Department of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester. I’m also the administrator of The Attic blog (attic-museumstudies.blogspot.com): the virtual home of the Department of Museum Studies’ research students.

7. Sarah Norris, Manchester Metropolitan University June 28, 2008 at 8:34 am #

Hello, I’m Sarah, a PhD candidate at Manchester Metropolitan. My background is in design history, with a special interest in 20th century object-based dress studies. My current project is a material culture analysis of the clothing worn by young wage-earning women to dance halls in interwar Britain. Pleased to meet you!

8. Emily Burrows, The George Washington University June 28, 2008 at 10:36 am #

My name is Emily and I have a B.A. in American and Latin American studies from Smith College, focusing on folklife, material culture, and the built environment. Now I am working towards my M.A. in American Studies and Historic Preservation at the George Washington University.
    In spite of my love of material culture, I have a soft spot for the preservation of sound. I currently work for Smithsonian Folkways Records with the more ephemeral stuff of music. On a daily basis we face questions about how to preserve the “intangible culture” of world music, and how to capitalize on our current digital and downloadable age.
    I found this site while surfing for preservation-related reading material and I’m very glad a forum like this exists.

9. Maya Valladares, Hunter College June 29, 2008 at 3:20 pm #

Hi. My name is maya and I’m finishing up my MA in Anthropology at Hunter, as well as looking into PhD programs and working at the Brooklyn Museum. My focus is on urban material culture, and at the moment I’m fascinated by scavenging, up-cycling and handmade objects. I’m currently researching craft “communities” in New York.
    I don’t have a blog, but I write for a monthly online magazine at www.the-fu.com.
    Fred Myers recommended this blog to me, and I’m very happy he did!

10. Jane Dickson June 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm #

Hi
    I’m Jane. I earned my degree in visual anthropology from Temple University, in Philadelphia, USA, and am relocating to London in September to take up a place on the MA in Visual and Material Culture course at UCL. Very much looking forward to this!
    I have a wide range of interests and have carried out research with the craft communities in Philadelphia and New York.
    Material World has been part of my reading for a long time now and I found it by googling.

11. Virginie Deroubaix HEC Montreal June 30, 2008 at 3:52 pm #

Hello,
    My name is Virginie; I am a PhD student in administration (major in marketing, minor in anthropology) at HEC Montreal (Canada). I am currently finishing my courses and my research topic is still not really developed. My particular interests are in consumer research, hierarchy of sensing, material culture and interpretive methods (I am back from an excellent intensive course at Helsinki School of Economics: Research Traditions in Interpretive Consumer Research). I found this blog while surfing on the UCL website (after reading D. Miller’s book A Theory of Shopping.)

12. Hello! I’m Marília, and I’m an undergraduate student in social sciences in Brasil. Just last week i found out about materialworldblog and what a surprise i had! I was just checking the website when i saw the “Living with mobile phones in Brazil” article – i started laughing right away when i recognized the picture, it’s the building where I study! Well, my final thesis is about people’s perceptions of their consumer rights and how that relates to citizenship. I’m doing a case study in my city, in our local PROCON (it’s a place people go in when they have a consumer complain).

13. juan diego sanín / Observatorio de Cultura Material July 1, 2008 at 11:01 am #

Hello, I am Juan Diego Sanin from Medellín-Colombia. I have a master degree in Expanded Aesthetic of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia. I work in the Observatory of Material Culture (Observatorio de Cultura Material) of the Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana. My projects of investigation are focus in the study of the material culture of the domestic space. At the moment i´m working in the project domestic trends, that study the transformations of the contemporary home in the city of Medellín, from the pespective of changes in the use and meaning of the domestic objects. I read materialworldblog almost every day.

14. Pablo Rodriguez-Bilella July 1, 2008 at 6:53 pm #

I´m Pablo, a sociologist from Argentina, teaching Social Anthropology for future Social Workers. I have studied in the UK (Sussex University), and I´m interested in different branches of Anthropology, mainly in rural areas and linked with environmental issues.

15. Rachel Brockhurst July 2, 2008 at 3:41 am #

My name is Rachel. I do not currently study but became interested in the Material Culture field following my attendance at a seminar at UCL in January 2008.
    I am a weaver and I work in Research and Information at the Crafts Council in the UK. I am attempting to write something interesting about my weaving – as it is a relatively new thing for me, I wanted to record the process of learning to make.
    The blog where I write is at aloomofonesown.blogspot.com/ – life has taken over recently so there’s not a great deal there, but it may be interesting to some of you. The Material World blog always surprises me, I’m very glad I was introduced to it.

16. Olaug Irene Røsvik Andreassen July 3, 2008 at 8:43 am #

I am Olaug, or something like that:)
    Former student of l’Ecole du Louvre and of UCL’s MA in Anthropology of Art i got lost doing a PhD on “not so material” issues.
    BUT now i want to get back into the material world and i just started working for the Museum of Cultural History in Oslo. Revising/digitalising the ethnographic collection and looking for ideas to improve the old web presentation…Pas evident…
    Just happened to find this world by chance today (though i think i’ve passed by here before). It looks very exciting and i hope to be able to contribute to it some day:)

17. Clarissa Ceglio, Brown University July 3, 2008 at 3:52 pm #

I’m a PhD student at Brown University in the American Civilization Department. My interest in studying visual and material culture has its roots in my experiences as an editor for the original (vs. the current version of) Antiques & Fine Art magazine, communications officer for the Triton Museum of Art in California, and as a freelance critic for Artweek, the West Coast’s contemporary art journal. Through this work I became interested in how objects function as cultural capital. Much of my graduate work to date explores the processes through which artifacts acquire and communicate meaning—and thereby participate in the social construction of race, gender, citizenship, and other fluid categories of identity. I’m also interested in the bifurcation of the visual and material as separate fields of study. For more on my recent work, visit proteus.brown.edu/gradstudents/358
    I’ve followed this site for some time now and, like others, look forward to seeing this forum stimulate collegiality and interdisciplinarity. The site has been a useful way of learning about new publications, digital resources, symposia, and other scholars’ projects.

18. Captain Steve McGregor, U.S. Army July 6, 2008 at 11:49 am #

U.S. Army Infantry Captain
    Yusufiya, Iraq

19. Hello, I am Jeppe. I was trained as an anthropologist and I am doing a Ph.D. within the “consumer culture” subfield of marketing, focusing on consumption and everyday family life in the Danish upper middle class. I formerly did research and published on everyday aspects of the post-communist transition in Eastern Europe.
    I go to this site for the fascinating projects that are shown here with rich visual documentation, and because some of the call for papers here are relevant to my line of research.
    I found the site because of my interest in Daniel Miller´s work, probably by googling. Academically this site represents for me a touchpoint with the world of material culture-studies, which is an academic community that I hope to get to know closer. I am inspired by the works of Daniel Miller and some of his students, as well as thinkers like Bruno Latour. Millers works on British families are relevant to my field, but I am also drawn to the fundamental ontology of understanding materiality as having agency, in which I experience a welcome addition to overly discourse-focused analytical approaches.

20. Margaret Bodemer July 11, 2008 at 5:26 pm #

I found Material World at the Museum Anthropology blog website. I’m writing my dissertation about the relationships between museums and anthropology in contemporary Vietnam based on a year of fieldwork in Vietnamese museums. I’m a PhD student in Anthropology at the University of Hawaii.

21. Jake Culbertson July 20, 2008 at 12:32 pm #

Hi there,
    I’m Jake, I’m a working towards a PhD in Sociocultural Anthropology at the Univ of California at Davis. My research is on contemporary Maori architecture and the materiality of the documents that these practices produce in design, consultation with clients, and navigating finance and state regulation. this also entails understanding the agency of woodcarvings and various other nonhumans that have long played a role in built environments in Aotearoa.

22. Richard September 7, 2008 at 12:58 pm #

I’m currently a university student, primarily interested in material culture and the landscape. If anyone wants to discuss any issues please e-mail me. All the best.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes